Special Event Setup & Delivery Driver
Job Summary: Delivery and pickup of special event rental equipment.
The person(s) in this position are responsible for contact with the customer at the customer’s location. Many of the customers will be commercial accounts that do not ordinarily visit Event Essentials premises. For this reason the image projected, the manner in which the customer is treated by the Delivery Driver, and professionalism is important. A positive, helpful, and friendly attitude is a must for this position, as well as the ability to work physically under a variety of indoor and outdoor conditions.
Because of the varying weights and dimensions of equipment, and the varying delivery situations, the person should be in good physical condition.
This position is available as full-time, part-time, weekends only, seasonal or second shift. Please specify preference in your application.
Responsibilities and Duties1. EQUIPMENT DELIVERY: Equipment delivery generally falls into several categories:
- Tenting – Tent sizes vary from 10’ wide – 80’wide and can require multiple people to install, led by a Crew Leader.
- Table and Chairs – Generally these will include 6′ or 8′ banquet tables (40 to 60 lbs.), chairs (7 lbs.), round tables (40 to 60 lbs.), risers (100 to 120 lbs.). Dollies are available to aid delivery.
- Party Goods – This will include flatware, glassware, dinnerware, linens, and other special event equipment packed in boxes in excess of 60 lbs. These items need special handling and loading on the trucks.
- Furniture & Design Elements – This is the delivery of more delicate pieces, like furniture, shelving, foam or wood décor pieces, rugs etc. Equipment in this category can range in size and shape, but all must be handled with care and precision. Most of these items are wrapped on delivery to protect them from damage.
- Load truck efficiently (to make deliveries with the least amount of rearranging) and with the safety of the equipment and personnel in mind.
- Prep equipment, if necessary, prior to loading to ensure their quality before delivery
- Assist fellow drivers in loading and unloading trucks
- Place returned items in their designated areas keeping in mind that any items that need attention including wet and dirty tents should not go back on the rack
- Work independently and responsibly when on delivery route
- Route yourself efficiently with deadlines and special circumstances in mind
- Be willing to set up and tear down equipment if desired by the customer as long as it doesn’t hinder your ability to service the other customers on your route properly
- Look at customer requests as an opportunity to gain their loyalty, not as an annoyance
- Double check delivery items to make sure customers receive exactly what is on the contract
- Instruct customers on equipment operation if applicable
- Secure customer signature whenever possible
- Coordinate with others on delivery and the Delivery Manager/Supervisor to assure a high level of customer service and efficient use of delivery vehicles
- Large loads or equipment requiring two or more people should be arranged so that help can be available at stops when needed
- Maintain an accurate log, noting any irregularities, special circumstances or delivery carts left on site
- Notify manager if behind schedule so customers can be contacted
- Clean out truck after route
- Inspect truck post-trip, note repairs that become necessary and any damage to the vehicle on log
- Be available for special events and occasions requiring non-standard working hours
- Obey traffic laws and drive courteously
- Be able to lead a crew of one or more employees in the delivery and set up process
Education, Skills & Requirements
- Must be able to lift 70lbs
- Must have a full range of motion and dexterity
- Must maintain a professional appearance
- Must possess customer relation skills
- Must maintain a valid driver’s license (no more than 2 moving violations in a 3 yr period)
- Must be able to pass DOT physical including drug screen
- Must be familiar with local roads and be able to read a map
- Must be able to speak English
- Must be able to maintain a working relationship with co-workers